Monday, March 26, 2012

Love of Pinterest and a recipe

I know that I have once raved via blog about how much I love etsy.com, but I do not believe I have mentioned Pinterest to date.  I decided that since I haven't blogged about much of anything recently, I would briefly mention Pinterest today.  Just before I left for Denmark, I opened my Pinterest account. I spent hours on it, literally many wasted hours, searching and repinning and dreaming about owning my own home one day so that I can oh...put storage in my staircase (obviously I cannot put storage in my staircase until 1) I own the staircase and 2) I have a staircase). Anyway, I digress.  

Since arriving and settling in here, my pinteresting has been cut down to a reasonable amount of time and usually for a purpose.  I have been pinning a variety of things that I may want to use in the future baby's room and also, I use it most often for recipes.  I have found that it is better to search for a recipe on Pinterest rather than in a regular search engine.  I am not sure why this is but I have narrowed the reason down to the fact that you are looking at pictures rather than words of what you are searching.  Yes, you will see a picture of stuffed bell pepper during a Google search, but it is also accompanied by a lot of other additional words that distract.  Pinterest is simply a picture and usually a small description that will tell you if it is vegetarian, has sausage, is stuffed with a tamale etc.  (If you've been under a rock and have never used pinterest, compare the 2 searches for stuffed bell peppers here and here. )

The real reason for this post is to share a now seasonally inappropriate recipe.  That's right, fall and even winter are over but I think canned pumpkin could and should be used year round.  It's in a can for a reason right?  Okay, I actually think eating anything pumpkin in the heat of the summer sounds pretty sick, but it's still pretty chill here, so pumpkin donuts (but in my case muffins) are just fine.  The original recipe for the donuts is found here, but I had to change a few things..So without further ado, I give you

Baked Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Muffins 
(because who has a donut pan)
If you squinted, they could almost be a donut hole :)

Mix wet in dry ingredients in separate bowls.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit /190 degrees Celsius.
Spray muffin pan (or donut pan if you're so lucky) with some form of anti-stick spray

Wet: (try to use all ingredients at room temperature)

1/2 cup plus 3 rounded tablespoons, canned, pureed pumpkin
2 tablespoons of molasses (make sure you get every last bit out of the spoon!)
2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of sugar
6 tablespoons unsweetened, unflavored almond milk (or your choice of non-dairy milk)
1/2 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar
Stir all ingredients until combined
 
Dry:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon of salt 
whisk together till combined

Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.  Do not over-stir.  The dough will be fairly thick.  Unless you have a donut pan, place a spoonful in each sprayed muffin tin hole or pocket. The dough will rise so use an amount that keeps the uncooked dough below the edge of the muffin hole. (so if you were at eye level with the top of the muffin tray, you wouldn't be able to see dough coming up from each hole-I have no idea how to effectively explain this!)  Using a convection oven, I baked my muffins for around 15-16 minutes.  Before removing, make sure a toothpick comes out clean when pricking the tallest muffin  Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes, and an additional 5 minutes on a cooling rack. Then, melt 1 tablespoon of butter into a cup and use a brush to apply it onto the tops of the muffins. Dip the muffin tops into 1/4 cup of sugar and a few shakes of cinnamon that has been mixed  in a separate bowl.  

Then, enjoy while perusing Pinterest :)

No comments:

Post a Comment