Friday, October 28, 2011

At Least 1 Room is finished

When we arrived in DC, the movers took, dumped really, everything out of the boxes and were on their way.  I stayed up for 3 days, with a few hours of sleep, working to have our entire apartment organized and ready for living. (and good thing it only took 3 days...it was repacked less than 6 months later)

It has been a bit different here.  There are no giant closets for stuffing things without a "place".  The bedrooms are tiny, so the dressers have had to find new homes here.  Oh, and the clothes that used to be in those dresser drawers...well, they are in the closet in a very nice, "open air" (aka open to dust, dog hair, dead bugs--whatever else happens to end up in that space) 24-cubby built-in.   The dressers now reside in other rooms, holding different things than they have ever held before...it just feels slightly strange to me...and maybe to the dressers :) It is a bit like fruit basket upset--in our previous homes, when moving, everything went back to where it was and what it was next to ---but here, everything has changed seats.  However, I am happy to say that...

The kitchen is complete and it feels great!  I can actually cook real food now...no more $20 cheeseburgers. My wallet and digestive system are happy.

Behold, the best kitchen in DK for an American.  It's large, has a full sized fridge and freeze (behind me) and a lot of storage, despite not having overheard cabinets.  I would just like to point out the paper towels in this picture.  They are about an inch and a half shorter than american paper towels and are thinner, crappier-whatever bad descriptor you'd like to use-than the cheapest u.s.  off-brand.  Sorry Denmark, I am just sayin, they suck.

Ed hung one shelf for my cookbooks...and my shrinking collection of 'lifelike' kitchen appliances from one of my favorite college professors.  Thank you Mr. Jones, where ever you are these days..

I learned to love real flowers in DC..and will continue that tradition here..though a $3.99 Trader Joes bundle of flowers these are not :(

My magnetic spice board from florida is now on the wall

Any bets on how long it will take me to kill these plants?
And my 'welcome to denmark' gift to myself " A Little more Candy"--along with Matador Mix from Haribo.  My friend Sara introduced me...and I think she's created a slik monster.  If you're reading this Sara, mange tak.  And i have to mention my table cloth...because I love it.  Look at the full kitchen picture and see how great it is!  I normally do not like table cloths and have never used one but  the attached-to-the-countertop table has a non-existent seal.  You set any cup down, with any type of liquid that has made it to the outside of the glass, and there will be a circular stain left behind.  Lesson learned, we now have a really awesome liquid-resistant table cloth.


3 comments:

  1. I love what you've done with the kitchen! Glad y'all are finally starting to settle in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo, I love it when a plan comes together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!

    Maybe Aldi (brother company of Trader Joe's) will have cheaper flowers?

    ReplyDelete