Tuesday, December 6, 2011

If you don't like the weather in Denmark..

I promised myself that after I left the super-heat of Texas, Oklahoma, Florida and DC, I would never complain about the cold or rain here.  While I have definitely thought, "wow, this really sucks," I have never wished that I could be back in the sickening 101 degree, 85 % humidity weather of one of those places (everyone here says I will change my mind eventually but I beg to differ--I will tell you when and if it happens though) Today, however was pretty unbelievable.  If it were possible for weather to have serious mood swings...I would have found the Danish weather in the midst of one today...well, the past 3 days to be exact.  I had typed up a timeline of what the weather was like in one day but after the 3 days we've had here, I will just give you a brief list of what I have seen:  Rain, Hail, Sleet, Snow, sunshine, lightning/thunder, hurricane-force winds, breezing winds, no wind....What haven't I seen??
Hail on Sunday--I was actually walking Scout when this happened.  Thankfully, they were the size of peas so no harm done.
In Texas, there is this saying "If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait 5 minutes". I think the saying applies to Denmark as well--though in Texas you'd probably get a cold front with snow an hour after it was 85 degrees and sunny.  There definitely are no dramatic temp changes here--just mildly cold to pretty cold.

While I was thinking about that Texas saying about weather and waiting 5 minutes, I realized that I had heard the same thing being said when I lived in Oklahoma.  Which state actually 'owns' the saying?  I decided to do a little research.  I used the Google predictor (the drop down list of what you could be looking for when you start typing in the search box) to see what the top guesses were for "if you don't like the weather in"  They were New England, Oklahoma and Texas.  Imagine that.  What I discovered though was that Mark Twain was the 'quoter' of the saying, and New England was the original area with fast-changing weather.  So now you know. 

Speaking of the 'Google predictor', is there anyone else who spends large amounts of time just typing random words, even letters into Google just to see the top guesses are for what you could be searching? If not, try it.  You will laugh--For example, I just typed 'why does' and the top 3 results were "why does it always rain on me", "why doesn't my boyfriend get his period"& "why does god hate denmark".  Are those really the phrases with the most results for 'why does'?? I can't help but to be a bit worried...

Anyway, A picture of a passing snow shower earlier today.  Now the sun is shining.  Go figure. 

If you don't like the weather in Denmark, wait 5 minutes.

2 comments:

  1. I love google predictions! I was in a bookstore a few months ago and saw a whole coffee-table-type-book with screen shots of google searches. I think google uses your location for the predictions as well because my predictions were: why does hair turn gray, why does my eye twitch, why does ice float, and why does it hurt when i pee. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that book sounds funny! Yeah, I think it definitely goes by your location.

    ReplyDelete