Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Mac 'n Not Cheese

As 'promised' in my last post, a recipe ripped (hehe, you'll see why this is funny in a sec) straight from the pages of the Engine 2 Diet , written by Rip Esselstyn.  See, now that's just funny ...but guess it's just me :)

Last September, Ed texted me and said " I think we should do a 1 week trial plant-based (aka vegan) diet."  I thought he was joking because Ed had previously said at more than one meat-free meal..."Where's the meat?" But no, he was being serious.  We embarked on the 'wfpbd' (whole foods, plant-based diet). We did quite well the first month and actually, when I did my life insurance physical at the end of that first month, my cholesterol was quite low.  So our one week trial has turned into more of a majority-of-the-time lifestyle.  We still, on occasion, eat cheese...and meat even less often. So it's definitely not all the time, but a good portion of the time.

So, now back to the recipe:

Macaroni and Not Cheese,  from the Engine 2 Diet



1 onion, chopped
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup lemon juice
1 1/3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
4 oz jar roasted red peppers, drained
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
16 oz whole grain pasta of choice, cooked

Preheat oven to 425. Sauté the onion on medium heat in a skillet for 5 minutes, until translucent.  In a food processor, combine the onion, cashews, lemon juice, water, and salt.  Gradually blend in the peppers, and the rest of the powders.  Thoroughly toss the sauce with the pasta.  Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown on top.  

Ed and I add mushrooms on occasion and usually put red pepper flakes into the mix.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment