Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Kelly

For someone who often says "you hurt my feelings", "I just had a feeling" and "That's just how I feel about it", I am not good at putting my true feelings into spoken words, and especially not written words.  Even though the "idea" behind my blog is that it is a diary that is read by people other than me, most of my 'diary' is filled with events and observations, not deep, dark secrets or feelings.  Today, I feel like I should express some of my feelings, even if for just a few sentences.

One of my mom's friends, who eventually became my own friend, died tonight.  Her name was Kelly. She made amazing food, was hard-working, godly and had a care-free but elegant style that I admired (she reminded me of suzanne somers, I think they were separated at birth).  I don't remember when I learned that she was sick, but a few weeks ago,  I told my mom that when I arrived in Texas, I wanted to visit Kelly. Unfortunately, I never made it down to where she was being treated. If I had, I would have given her a hug and thanked her for making my wedding beautiful.  She prepared all the food and made it look like a million bucks.  I would have encouraged her to remain strong and courageous, and to not be afraid...but I never had the chance.  I am saddened for the hole that is being left in her daughter's, family's and friend's lives.  I know she was greatly loved and will be greatly missed.

Recently, between the 10th anniversary of 9/11, Kelly's death, and other happy & sad events in the lives of my friends, I have often thought about the verses in Ecclesiastes 3:

1 There is a time for everything, 
   and a season for every activity under the heavens:

 2 a time to be born and a time to die,
   a time to plant and a time to uproot,
 3 a time to kill and a time to heal,
   a time to tear down and a time to build,
 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh,
   a time to mourn and a time to dance,
 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
   a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
 6 a time to search and a time to give up,
   a time to keep and a time to throw away,
 7 a time to tear and a time to mend,
   a time to be silent and a time to speak,
 8 a time to love and a time to hate,
   a time for war and a time for peace.

And 12:13, at the end of the book, says this:

Now all has been heard; here is the conclusion of the matter: Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. 

I know Kelly lived through all the ups and downs of life while fearing God and keeping His commandments.  Even though I am crying and cannot sleep, I am happy that this life is not the end for her. Till we meet again Kelly...


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your tribute to Kelly! She was a very special friend. We talked about our children and concerns "together". We taught "Bible Times with Friends "together"". We served Sunday evening suppers "together", we served Valentine banquets and other church meals "together", we served meals at the homeless shelter "together", we served wedding receptions and other celebrations "together". Most recently I tapped her expertise regarding food regarding Shavors going away luncheon, I was "alone". She did a beautiful job on your wedding Heidi! She was patient, kind, calm, a servant, and "wanted to do what the Lord wanted her to do". I will miss her so much, our "togetherness". Truly she was my friend, mentor, and sister in Christ. I know she is in heaven, but still I hurt for the loss of my friend. Sad, Mom

    ReplyDelete